||1. Kuliawat R, Arvan P. Protein targeting via the "constitutive-like" secretory pathway in isolated pancreatic islets: passive sorting in the immature granule compartment. J. Cell Biol. 1992; 118: 521-529.
2. Kim PS, Arvan P. Transient aggregation of nascent thyroglobulin in the endoplasmic reticulum: relationship to the molecular chaperone, BiP. J. Cell Biol. 1992; 118: 541-549.
3. Kuliawat R, Arvan, P. Distinct molecular mechanisms for protein sorting within immature secretory granules of pancreatic b-cells. J. Cell Biol. 1994; 126: 77-86.
4. Kim PS, Arvan P. Calnexin and BiP act as sequential molecular chaperones during thyroglobulin folding in the endoplasmic reticulum. J. Cell Biol. 1995; 128: 29-38.
5. Kim PS, O-Yu Kwon, Arvan P. An endoplasmic reticulum storage disease causing congenital goiter with hypothyroidism. J. Cell Biol. 1996; 133: 517-527.
6. Medeiros-Neto G, Kim PS, Yoo SE, Vono J, Targovnik H, Camargo R, Hossain SA, Arvan P. Congenital hypothyroid goiter with deficient thyroglobulin: identification of an endoplasmic reticulum storage disease (ERSD) with induction of molecular chaperones. J. Clin. Invest. 1996; 98: 2838-2844.
7. Kuliawat R, Klumperman J, Ludwig T, Arvan P. Differential sorting of lysosomal enzymes out of the regulated secretory pathway in pancreatic ß-cells. J. Cell Biol. 1997; 137: 595-608.
8. Klumperman J, Kuliawat R, Griffiths JM, Geuze HJ, Arvan P. Mannose 6-phosphate receptors are sorted from immature secretory granules via AP-1, clathrin, and syntaxin 6- positive vesicles. J. Cell Biol. 1998; 141: 359-371.
9. Kim PS, Hossain SA, Park Y-N, Lee I, Yoo S-E, Arvan P. A single amino acid change in the acetylcholinesterase-like domain of thyroglobulin causes congenital goiter with hypothyroidism in the cog/cog mouse: A model of human ER storage diseases. Proc. Nat'l. Acad. Sci (USA; track 2). 1998; 95: 9909-9913.
10. Kuliawat R, Prabakaran D, Arvan P. Proinsulin endoproteolysis confers enhanced targeting of processed insulin to the regulated secretory pathway. Mol. Biol. Cell 2000; 11: 1959-1972.
11. Tokunaga F, Brostrom C, Koide T, Arvan P. ER-associated degradation of misfolded N- linked glycoproteins is suppressed upon inhibition of ER mannosidase I. J. Biol. Chem. 2000; 275: 40757-40764.
12. Zhang B-Y, Chang A, Kjeldsen T, Arvan P. Intracellular retention of newly-synthesized insulin in yeast is caused by endoproteolytic processing in the Golgi complex. J. Cell Biol. 2001; 153: 1187–1197.
13. Liu M, Ramos-Castañeda J, Arvan P. Role of the connecting peptide in insulin biosynthesis. J. Biol. Chem. 2003; 278: 14798-14805.
14. Kuliawat R, Kalinina E, Bock J, Fricker L, McGraw TE, Kim SR, Zhong J, Scheller RH, Arvan P. Syntaxin-6 SNARE involvement in secretory and endocytic pathways of cultured pancreatic beta cells. Mol. Biol. Cell. 2004; 15: 1690-1701.
15. Ramos-Castañeda J, Park Y-N, Liu M, Hauser K, Rudolph H, Shull GE, Jonkman MF, Mori K, Ikeda S, Ogawa H, Arvan P. Deficiency of ATP2C1, a Golgi ion pump, induces secretory pathway defects in ER-associated degradation and sensitivity to ER-stress. J. Biol. Chem. 2005; 280: 9467-9473.
16. Liu M, Li Y, Cavener D, Arvan P. Proinsulin disulfide maturation and misfolding in the endoplasmic reticulum. J. Biol. Chem. 2005; 280: 13209-13212.
17. Kuliawat R, Ramos-Castañeda J, Liu Y, Arvan P. Intracellular trafficking of thyroid peroxidase to the cell surface. J. Biol. Chem. 2005; 280: 27713-27718.
18. Di Jeso B, Park Y-n, Ulianich L, Treglia AS, Urbanas ML, High S, Arvan P. Mixed- disulfide folding intermediates between thyroglobulin and ER resident oxidoreductases ERp57 and PDI. Mol. Cell Biol. 2005; 25: 9793-9805.
||1. Lara-Lemus R, Liu M, Turner M, Scherer P, Stenbeck G, Iyengar P, Arvan P. Lumenal protein sorting to the constitutive secretion pathway of a regulated secretory cell. J. Cell Sci. 2006; 119: 1833-1842.
2. Forster ML, Sivick K, Park Y-P, Arvan P, Lencer WI, Tsai B. PDI-like proteins play opposing roles during retro-translocation. J. Cell Biol. 2006; 173: 853-859.
3. Hua Q-x, Liu M, Hu S-Q, Jia W, Arvan P*, Weiss MA* (*co-corresponding authors). A conserved histidine in insulin is required for the foldability of human proinsulin. Structure and function of an AlaB5 analog. J. Biol. Chem. 2006; 281: 24889-24899.
4. Zhao X, Chang AY, Toh-e A, Arvan P. A role for Lte1p (a low-temperature essential protein involved in mitosis) in proprotein processing in the yeast secretory pathway. J. Biol. Chem. 2007; 282: 1670-1678.
5. Menon S, Abplanalp WA, Yoo S-E, Agui T, Furudate S-i, Kim PS, Arvan P. Oxidoreductase interactions include a role for ERp72 engagement with mutant thyroglobulin from the rdw/rdw rat dwarf. J. Biol. Chem. 2007; 282: 6183-6191.
6. Liu M, Hodish I, Rhodes CJ, Arvan P. Proinsulin maturation, misfolding and proteotoxicity. Proc. Nat'l. Acad. Sci (USA; track 2) 2007; 104: 15841-15846.
7. Zhao X, Nothwehr S, Lara-Lemus R, Zhang B-y, Peter H, Arvan P. Mammalian Vps35 behaves as a dominant negative protein in yeast: mutation of a conserved PRLYL motif alters protein function and localization. Traffic 2007; 8:1829-1840.
8. Restrepo R, Zhao X, Peter H, Zhang B-y, Arvan P, Nothwehr SF. Structural features of Vps35p involved in interaction with other subunits of the retromer complex. Traffic 2007; 8: 1841-1853
9. Kim PS, Jongsamak P, Menon S, Li B, Hossain SA, Bae J-H, Panijpan B, Arvan P. Defective protein folding and intracellular retention of thyroglobulin-R19K mutant as a cause of human congenital goiter. Mol. Endocrinol. 2008; 22: 477-484
10. Colombo C, Porzio O, Liu M, Massa O, Vasta M, Salardi S, Beccaria L, Monciotti C, Toni S, Pedersen O, Hansen T, Pesavento R, Cadario F, Federici G, Ghirri P, Arvan P, Iafusco D, Barbetti F, and the Early Onset Diabetes Study Group of the Italian Society of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes (SIEDP). Permanent Neonatal Diabetes Mellitus Caused by Seven Novel Mutations of the Insulin Gene. J. Clin. Invest. 2008; 118: 2148-2156
11. Yamaguchi Y, Larkin D, Lara-Lemus R, Ramos-Castañeda J, Liu M, Arvan P. ER chaperone regulation, and survival of cells compensating for deficiency in the ER stress protein kinase, PERK. J. Biol. Chem. 2008; 283: 17020-17029
12. Lee J, Di Jeso B, Arvan P. Defects in intramolecular chaperone and molecular escort function of the cholinesterase-like domain of thyroglobulin. J. Clin. Invest. 2008; 118: 2950-2958.
13. Rajpal G, Liu M, Zhang Y, Arvan P. Single-chain insulins a receptor agonists. Manuscript submitted.
14. Lee J, Wang X, Di Jeso B, Arvan P. The cholinesterase-like domain of thyroglobulin, essential for trafficking in the secretory pathway, is required for protein dimerization. Manuscript submitted.
15. Hodish I, Liu M, Rajpal G, Larkin D, Holz R, Adams A, Liu L, Arvan P. Misfolded proinsulin affects bystander proinsulin in neonatal diabetes. Manuscript submitted.